Untitled Document


Saturday 29th July 2017 

National Hot Rods 2018 World Series NI Rd 2

Eighteen cars lined up for heat one on a wet track. Kenny McCann indicated his ever improving form by leading this one until half distance before Adam Hylands nipped ahead. The British Champion made no mistake from there and breezed home for a good win ahead of Glenn Bell and Nigel McCauley. There were disqualifications for both Mark Heatrick and John Christie in this one. Heatrick for an incident at turn one which caused troubles for Davy McKay, Phillip McCloy and Andrew Stewart, while Christie was pulled up for contact on Gary Woolsey’s Ginetta which punted Woolsey into the back-marking Sticky Torrens. Conditions had improved slightly for heat two and once again the blue grade provided the winner in this one. In a role reversal from heat one it was Bell who led home Hylands this time, with Derek Martin the best of the red grade in third.


With a win and a second apiece Hylands and Bell were tied on points for pole position, but Hylands better placing in the first heat earned the British Champion that all important inside slot. Bell was forced to start on the still damp outside line and that proved a real problem during the opening laps where Bell lost a number of places. Hylands led initially but row two starter Martin was on it straight from the off and did not require a second invitation when Hylands ran slightly wide between turns 3 and 4 on the opening lap. Martin filled the gap immediately and darted into the lead while Hylands dropped back into second just ahead of an eager Adam Heatrick. Leader Martin gradually eased away from his pursuers until everyone was pulled up after Torrens hit the wall a heavy blow along the start-finish straight. When the action re-commenced Martin continued where he had left off before the interruption, which confirmed a long overdue final win for the Dungannon star. Second place proved enough to ensure that Hylands finished as top points at Round Two, while Round One winner Heatrick bagged another good result in third. Bell fought back strongly to fourth at the chequered flag, with the top six rounded out by Shane Murray and Christie.


Stock Rods 2017 FG Race Fabrications Series Finale

Two graded order heats preceded the finale of the FG Race Fabrications Series and the points scored in these two races were added to those already accumulated during Rounds 1 and 2 to determine the grid for the final. Yellow top Johnny McCloy revelled in the wet conditions of heat one where the Garvagh lad romped to a splendid win in his budget Vauxhall. McCloy featured heavily again in heat two where he enjoyed a keen tussle for the lead with Matthew McKinstry. The one to watch however as the race progressed was Niall McFerran, who swept ahead of both by lap ten and went on to secure an impressive win in his Corsa C.

When the points were tallied for the final it was Stephen McCready on pole with McFerran alongside on row one, followed by Jack Patchett and Aaron Moody on row two. It was a real nip and tuck start between the front pair, with McCready just able to hold off a strong challenge from McFerran. The pair soon established a slight advantage over the chasing pack, with McFerran stuck like glue to the back bumper of the leader. There was nothing to separate the pair as they worked their way through the backmarkers and leader McCready had to be very alert as one mistake could have proved costly. Both survived a very close shave when they were amongst a gaggle of cars which came upon a slowing Jason Clyde. Points Champion Clyde was struggling with mechanical problems and trying to get to safety when the group came upon him at the entry to turn one. It was a tricky moment for everyone involved, but somehow they all managed to get through unscathed and McCready coolly maintained his lead throughout the remainder to chalk up another success in 2017. McFerran was in impressive runner-up, while Patchett slipped home in third after a steady run.


F2 Stock Cars Moffett Shield

Conor Hughes displayed his ability in the wet with a blistering drive in the opening heat. Hughes caught long time leader Kyle Beattie on the final lap to blast home for a great win ahead of Beattie and Dean McCrory. Conditions had improved slightly for heat two where George Campbell led until lap 6 before Antony Kincaid eased ahead. Former Junior Rod star Kincaid was making his first appearance in an F2 at Ballymena and confidently stroked it home for a fine win, while further back his brother Christopher was engaged in a very watchable battle with Hughes which saw the pair swap positions regularly. Bradley McKinstry showed a good turn of speed to finish second in this one, with Scott Finlay in third.


The Moffett Shield was on offer to the winner of the final and once again it was Campbell who led the field away. The white top set a brisk pace and continued to hold sway out front until the yellow flags appeared on lap 7, with Hughes stranded on top of the race wall at turn one following some heavy bumper work in the star grade. Beattie took over at the resumption of hostilities, but Christopher Kincaid was already up to second and the Irish Champion eased to the front on lap 10. The yellows were out again shortly afterwards after Finlay and Thomas Greer traded some heavy blows, which ended with Finlay’s car stopped in a dangerous position at the exit of turn two.

With Finlay’s car moved to safety the action resumed once more and it looked like a routine victory from here on in for leader Kincaid. Ryan McCrory had other ideas however and was the quickest car on track over the closing laps. As Kincaid coasted home on the final lap McCrory sensed an opportunity and went for a daring last bender from a long, long way back! It was do or die stuff and when he missed the leader McCrory found himself out on the slippery stuff and up the wall. For a minute it looked like the 944 car was about to topple onto its roof, but McCrory managed to drive right round the bend on two wheels, before coaxing his car back onto all fours to cross the line in sixth. Ten out of ten for effort Ryan! McCrory’s last end heroics allowed McKinstry to slip into second, while third place finisher Beattie collected the special award for the first white or yellow grade driver home.

Street Rods 2017 Gold Cup

The fledgling formula competed for their Gold Cup and it was William Donnell who began the evening with a victory in the opening heat. Shannon Morrow and Taylor Broggy battled over the lead in heat two for a number of laps before Broggy eased out a slight advantage to claim a good win in his Ford Fiesta. Morrow again held sway in the final, but in a repeat of their earlier dice Broggy squeezed ahead to secure his second win of the evening. Morrow was good value for second, with Norman Mitchell in third.

Photos thanks to DPP

Ballymena Raceway would like thank all the meeting Sponsors

Isuzu Truck (Antrim), FG Race Fabrications, Moffett Family

& Hankook Performance Tyres

click for Official Results (29/07/17)





The information provided on this website is © Ballymena Raceway 2019, unless otherwise stated and may not be reproduced without permission.